Welcome to the new YLD Blog! We hope that this Blog will provide insight and information into all the great work that is being accomplished by our volunteer attorneys. We plan to use the YLD Blog to provide substantive practice pointers, tips on well-being, information on YLD events and projects and updates on YLD committee activity.
We want you to join us and are always looking for bloggers. If you have an interest in writing for the YLD Blog, for the rest of the 2017-2018 bar year, please contact Robb Broughton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to catch you up to speed on some of the many activities and accomplishments of this bar year, I wanted to share highlights of our recent work.
- We hosted the Ugly Sweater 5K race in December to benefit NC LEAP – a nonprofit serving low-wealth entrepreneurs – and we raised over $18,000. We had 285 race registrants!
- The Bar Exam Committee hosted an essay writing workshop in January for applicants who are taking the February Bar Exam.
- The Law Student Division co-sponsored a networking reception with the NCBA Board of Governors and State Bar leadership. We had over 200 law students attend the reception at the Bar Center.
- Our Wills for Heroes Committee held events in Chapel Hill, Waynesville and Greensboro. Since we started these clinics, we have provided over 15,000 essential estate planning documents to first responders.
- Our Wellness Committee has provided tips for attorney well-being in our monthly YLD E-blast.
We are planning even more great programming for the rest of the bar year. We are always looking for new volunteers and encourage you (if you haven’t already) to sign up for a YLD committee.
The YLD Executive Council meets quarterly and our next meeting is Saturday, March 24 in Charlotte. We always love to meet and network with members who have not yet gotten involved with the YLD. Please RSVP to get your name on the security list.