By Keith Wood
It was great seeing many of you over Memorial Day weekend at the North Carolina/South Carolina/Georgia Tax Update program in Kiawah. A special thanks to Isaac Bradley for all the hard work in putting that program together.
As some of you may already know, we have reserved the East Beach Conference Center for next year’s Annual Meeting in Kiawah again over Memorial Day weekend. We hope you will start making plans to join us in Kiawah that weekend. For those of you already planning to attend, we would ask that you encourage other co-workers and colleagues to make plans to attend as well.
Also, Kevin May of Graves May in Wilmington has agreed to chair this CLE Committee. I know he would appreciate suggestions for speakers or topics.
On a personal note, I am looking forward to being the chair of the Tax Section this year. As the first order of business, I would like to thank Josh Bryant for all of his hard work and leadership last year.
We now have firmed up our dates for upcoming Tax Section Council meetings. The first Tax Section Council meeting will be Thursday, Sept. 7, at the N.C. Bar Center. The roundtable discussion will start at 11:30 a.m. with the council meeting to begin at 1 p.m. We will meet at Elon Law School on Friday, Nov. 17, with the NCACPA and representatives from the IRS. And, we will meet at the Mecklenburg County Bar Center on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
I would also like to take this opportunity to reach out to the entire section to see if we can recruit new talent to serve on our many committees. The following is a list of all of our different subcommittees, as well as the name of the chairperson who will chair those committees this upcoming year:
- Ad Hoc Tax Court Liaison: Co-Chairs Michael Cashin and Stacy Brady
- CLE: Chair Kevin May
- CLE Sponsorships: Chair Robert Wall
- Estate Planning: Chair Chris Hannum
- IRS Liaison: Chair Tess Stakias
- Legislative Liaison: Chair Sabra Faires
- Liaison with Other Professionals: Chair Alex Webb
- Liaison with YLD: Chair Allie Petrova
- Membership: Chair Allie Petrova
- C. Department of Revenue Liaison: Chair Nancy Rendleman
- Newsletter Blog: Chair Herman Spence
- Nominations Committee: Chair Paul Topolka
- Pro Bono: Chair Helen Herbert
- Recent N.C. Tax Opinions: Chair Howard Williams
- Southeast Region Liaison: Chair Steve Horowitz
- Web Page: Chair Josh Bryant
If you are interested in serving on one of these committees then let me know and I’ll connect you with the committee chair.
And indeed, there are many other opportunities to volunteer and share expertise. For example, as Wells Hall mentioned at Kiawah, the Tax Section has been active in operating its Adopt a Base Program in which the Tax Section provides volunteers who teach courses at military bases in North Carolina to train instructors for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Programs. This is an extraordinary effort but one that is very beneficial and important to our service men and women who live in North Carolina.
I know it’s going to be a great year for the Tax Section and I look forward to seeing and working with many of you throughout the year.